PRE-TEXTS WORKSHOP AT THE DEREK BOK CENTER FOR TEACHING AND LEARNING
- WHEN: Wednesday - Friday, September, 21-23
- WHERE: Science Center 318, The Bok Community Space, MA
- WHAT: The Derek Bok Center and Professor Doris Sommer, Department of Romance Languages and Literatures, invite faculty and Teaching Fellows to participate in a 3-session workshop to explore the possibilities of Pre-Text training for adaptation in the Harvard classroom. Graduate students who participate in the workshop will be able to count their participation toward one Seminar requirement for a Bok Center Teaching Certificate by doing a follow-up project in their classrooms and meeting with other participants to explore the results.
To register please visit: http://bokcenter.harvard.edu/pretexts
For more information see: http://bit.ly/2cAvHhr
PRE-TEXTS IS A 2016 FINALIST PROJECT IN NEACOL's 2nd ANNUAL GALA
- WHEN: Friday, September 23 | 7:30pm
- WHERE: Boston Marriott Burlington, MA
- WHAT: Pre-Texts is one of the 2016 Finalist Projects of NEACOL's 2nd Annual Gala "Keeping Dreams Alive." The first grant provided by the New England Association for Colombian Children was in 2014, which supported an initiative focused on education and impacted the lives of 270 impoverished Colombian children. Early in 2015, it funded a second project in nutrition that benefited 156 Colombian children and their families. In 2016 NEACOL funded projects such as Social Football , helping more than 100 children, and Learning Under a Roof supporting 50 students directly, and 300 students total.
Currently, there are four projects nominated for 2016. These include:
"Deja tu Huella de Paz" based in Cali and Yumbo (Valle del Cauca), looks to give tools that permit students to strengthen their leadership capacities in order to design and execute projects of social impact in their own context.
"Lactancia Amor Natural“, based in Medellín (Antioquia), looks to educate mothers in refugee populations about the health and nutritional advantages of breastfeeding, to decrease the levels of malnutrition in the community.
"Alimentando la esperanza de los niños campesinos", based in Albán (Cundinamarca), looks to improve nutritional safety and increase nutritional coverage in up to 84% of vulnerable children in the rural communities.
"Pre-Textos" based in Quibdó (Chocó), looks to increase and develop critical reading and reasoning by educating teachers to stimulate reading and writing creativity. This project is under the umbrella of literacy, leadership and civic education.
For more information on previous projects, the event, or register to donate,
please visit: NEACOL
For our full newsletter, see the link below: http://bit.ly/2cuErow